While New Zealand is in Alert Level One for COVID-19, continued vigilance is required by us all to ensure the safety of our community.
New Zealand’s quarantine-free travel arrangements with Australia and the Cook Islands has resulted in some updates to Forté Hospital’s COVID-19 screening and testing procedures. Please read them carefully. They are designed to ensure the safety of staff, patients, visitors and our wider community.
What do these requirements mean for you?
- Any patients who have been in a location of interest in New Zealand or in a quarantine-free country (Australia and the Cook Islands) in the last 14 days may have their surgery deferred. Please contact your surgeons’ rooms as soon as possible if this affects you.
- Even if you have not been in a location of interest, if you are coming to Forté Health for surgery you may be screened by your medical specialist prior to your admission.
- You may be contacted by your medical team in the weeks and/or days prior to any planned surgery to discuss any risks or questions regarding COVID. Please speak openly and honestly during these phone assessments.
- If you have acute or new cold and flu symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny nose, fever, loss of sense of smell or altered taste you may be required to have a free COVID test. A test result takes approximately 48 hours to return and a negative result may be required prior to surgery.
- If you become unwell with any of the above symptoms prior to your surgery it is strongly recommended you access a COVID test. For information about accessing a COVID test click here.
- Naturally if you are unwell, we ask you to stay at home.
In addition to the above there are some high-risk situations for visitors and patients and these include those who, in the last 14 days, have:
- had contact in-person with a confirmed or probable COVID-19 case;
- travelled internationally (excluding quarantine-free travel) or had direct contact with a person who has travelled overseas (e.g. Customs and Immigration staff, staff at quarantine/isolation facilities);
- worked on an international aircraft or shipping vessel, or worked at a quarantine facility or international arrivals;
- worked in cold storage areas of facilities that receive imported chilled and frozen good directly from an international airport or maritime port;
- recently completed managed isolation or had contact with a person who has come out of a MIQ quarantine.
If you have any questions please discuss this directly with your medical specialist or phone the Forté Hospital team on 03 365 8333.
Additional screening and testing procedures remain in place at Forté Hospital. These measures include:
- Continued COVID-19 screening of staff, patients, visitors, contractors and suppliers.
- The maintenance of contact tracing procedures at reception and concierge.
- Adherence to social distancing guidelines - we ask for your support in this.
- The following of standard infection prevention and control precautions.
Forté Health will continue to follow all Ministry of Health and Canterbury DHB COVID guidelines and will keep this page updated with any relevant information.
We appreciate your support and cooperation to keep our community COVID-free.